Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft have become increasingly popular, promising that safety is their number one priority in getting people from one place to another. While utilizing these services is a good alternative to walking home alone or worse, driving under the influence, it is important that you know how to do so safely. Following these guidelines can help you stay safe:
- Request your ride from indoors. Avoid lingering outside alone while looking down at your phone.
- Check your driver’s rating. Be sure that your driver has prior experience and a good rating.
- Share your trip with a trusted friend or family member. Share your whereabouts with someone other than who you’re with so they know when you make it home safely.
- Confirm the car, license plate and driver before getting in. Be sure the information on your rideshare app about your driver matches the vehicle you get into.
- Sit in the back seat. Sitting in the front seat increases your proximity and chance of contact with the driver.
- Wear your seatbelt. Seatbelts are there to protect you in the event of an accident. Buckle up.
- Keep your personal information confidential. There’s nothing wrong with conversing with your driver, just plan to leave your personal information out of the conversation.
- Never pay cash. Taking out your wallet to tip may put you at risk of theft. Uber and Lyft offer the ability to tip through their app.
- Know your surroundings. When you’re in an unfamiliar area, track your route on your own map to be sure the driver is taking you to the correct place.
University after hours transport options
The University of Michigan also offers safe transportation options 24 hours a day. Learn more about the university after hours transport options offered by the U-M Logistics, Transportation and Parking Department.
If you ever feel unsafe while using a rideshare service, it is best to trust your instincts. If you feel your personal safety may be in danger, call 911. If you’re in the Ann Arbor area, you can also text 377911 to reach DPSS.