UM Emergency Alert is an urgent, mass notification system that keeps students, faculty and staff informed about major active emergencies on campus. This system will be activated without undue delay by the Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS).
U-M students, faculty and staff can sign up for voice and text Emergency Alerts here.
Alerts will be delivered via:
- Text message (SMS)
- Voice message
- University of Michigan’s digital displays
- University of Michigan or DPSS homepage
- Michigan App
- DPSS App
Examples of major emergencies
UM Emergency Alert usually won’t be used for localized incidents within a building, such as a small fire. This system is reserved for campus-wide emergencies, which include but are not limited to:
- An active violence incident, such as an active attacker
- A tornado warning for Washtenaw County
- A severe thunderstorm with wind greater than 75 miles per hour
- A major spill of hazardous material(s)
For more information about UM Emergency Alert, please read the frequently asked questions.