UM Emergency Alerts are urgent, mass notifications that keep students, faculty and staff informed about major active emergencies on campus. This system will be activated without undue delay by the Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS).
VERIFY YOUR MOBILE NUMBER
Students, faculty and staff are automatically enrolled to receive UM Emergency Alerts via email and text message/SMS. Please visit alerts.umich.edu to verify or update the mobile number currently enrolled in the system.
Alerts will be delivered via:
- Text message (SMS)
- Voice message
- University of Michigan's digital displays
- University of Michigan gateway and DPSS homepage
- Michigan App
- U-M Public Safety App
- DPSS Twitter
- DPSS Facebook
Examples of Major Emergencies
UM Emergency Alert usually won’t be used for localized incidents within a building, such as a small fire. This system is reserved for campus-wide emergencies, which include but are not limited to:
- An active violence incident, such as an active attacker
- A tornado warning for Washtenaw County
- A severe thunderstorm with wind greater than 75 miles per hour
- A major spill of hazardous material(s)
For more information about UM Emergency Alert, please read the frequently asked questions.
For those wanting to be add the sms and phone numbers for UM Emergency Alerts to your mobile device, download the emergency alert contact card.